Pets have been around for Thousands of years, generally kept for owners pleasure. We humans have domesticated horses, cats and dogs. They have allowed us to do so in order for them to get easier access to food & water. It’s mutualism that works out for both parties but also completes us as humans in a weird way.
History of the cat
- Cats were domesticated about 4000 years ago
- The Egyptians were the first to domesticate the cat, to keep pests under control as well as protect food storage.
- In ancient Egypt, cats were seen as hunters and worshipped as Gods
- Most popular cat breed since the 19th century is the Siamese
History of the dog
- Estimated time of domestications was approximately anything from 27, 000 to 40, 000 years ago
- The modern dog was first domesticated in the Middle East and China
- Apparently, women may have been the first to mark a dog a pet.
- In 1953, Boris Levinson was the first person to scientifically publish the benefits of making use of a therapy dog.
- Most popular dog breed since 1990s have been the Labrador retriever
We all have a pet, or had animals growing up. Basically, they were our first friends, besides our siblings. Probably more loyal than our siblings lol.
They are not just the family pets, they slowly become part of the family, like a child/ fur baby. It becomes routine and part of daily rituals to get up and greet them, this happens even before I’ve had my morning coffee. Or that is how’s it’s been with me.
As soon as I wake up I look for Olive (Black, Mix breed Pekinese/ Jack Russel) and Peppa (Brown, Chow Chow and some Boerboel mix or something).
Olives become so spoilt now because she’s the smallest of the two and I can force cuddles and pick her up. Peppa is like a person, very jealous and very emotional, she won’t look at me when I call her If I’ve been away too long.
They are the sunshine to any bad day, even when you scold them, or you in a bad mood, they are always excited to see you. Who else can make you excited about daily exercise? I would probably be way more unproductive If I didn’t have my dogs, who basically beg for morning walks. And Even give me attitude and make me feel guilty when I skip a session. I always feel so bad, that I’m forced to walk them later. They always make you aware of your surroundings and family home. Keeping us safe from insects and nature, that they seem to gobble up all the creepy crawlies. Peppa is our watchdog, if she barks, we know somethings up. Olive, on the other hand, is the one dog who won’t stop barking for attention, dogs and just any and everything.
Cleary pets are a positive influence in our lives, satisfying human need.
If we all had a heart like our pets the world would be a better place.
“Be the person your dog thinks you are!”
― J.W. Stephens
“A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself”.
– Josh Billings
“In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this”.
“Birds are a miracle because they prove to us there is a finer, simpler state of being which we may strive to attain”.
No animals were harmed in this post.